Philadelphia to Boston plane cleared after evacuation at Logan
BOSTON - April 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A U.S. Airways plane from Philadelphia to Boston was evacuated at Logan Airport on Tuesday morning, but the scene has been cleared.
PHOTOS: WEBSITE and iPAD | WIRELESS
RELATED: Google 'Person Finder' for Boston Marathon Explosions
ABC News reports the plane, Flight 1716, landed safely, but the 62 passengers on board were evacuated on the tarmac.
Sources told Action News that a piece of baggage dropped off a cart, and a clerk got nervous after hearing a bang.
About 22 bags were cleared in Philadelphia, but one bag on the departing flight needed to be checked.
Once the flight landed in Boston, the bomb squad checked, then cleared, the bag in question.
ABC News also reports that the bomb squad was called, but has cleared the scene.
In a statement, U.S. Airways said "Our first priority is the safety of our passengers and we are working closely with Boston airport and law enforcement authorities on this situation. All passengers have safely deplaned and have been moved to a building near the terminal at this time."
Meanwhile, the Associated Press reports that United Airways Flight 636 to Chicago was returned to the gate at Logan and passengers sent back through security screening at the request of the crew while the aircraft was swept on Tuesday. A United spokeswoman did not say why.
Security has been at a high alert since Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon that left three people dead and more than 170 others injured.
There is no word on who set off those bombs or why.
boston, massachusetts, explosion, boston marathon bombing, local/state
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 41 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 36 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 49 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 52 min ago
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 40 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 42 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
26 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
23 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
42 min ago