Philadelphia to Boston plane cleared after evacuation at Logan
BOSTON - April 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A U.S. Airways plane from Philadelphia to Boston was evacuated at Logan Airport on Tuesday morning, but the scene has been cleared.
PHOTOS: WEBSITE and iPAD | WIRELESS
RELATED: Google 'Person Finder' for Boston Marathon Explosions
ABC News reports the plane, Flight 1716, landed safely, but the 62 passengers on board were evacuated on the tarmac.
Sources told Action News that a piece of baggage dropped off a cart, and a clerk got nervous after hearing a bang.
About 22 bags were cleared in Philadelphia, but one bag on the departing flight needed to be checked.
Once the flight landed in Boston, the bomb squad checked, then cleared, the bag in question.
ABC News also reports that the bomb squad was called, but has cleared the scene.
In a statement, U.S. Airways said "Our first priority is the safety of our passengers and we are working closely with Boston airport and law enforcement authorities on this situation. All passengers have safely deplaned and have been moved to a building near the terminal at this time."
Meanwhile, the Associated Press reports that United Airways Flight 636 to Chicago was returned to the gate at Logan and passengers sent back through security screening at the request of the crew while the aircraft was swept on Tuesday. A United spokeswoman did not say why.
Security has been at a high alert since Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon that left three people dead and more than 170 others injured.
There is no word on who set off those bombs or why.
boston, massachusetts, explosion, boston marathon bombing, local/state
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft 47 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line 32 min ago
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 11 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Local men reflects on meeting with Mandela
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool