Sex assault suspect hits Rhawnhurst woman with hammer, police say
RHAWNHURST - April 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are seeking the public's assistance in identifying the suspect who they say sexually assaulted a woman in Rhawnhurst.
Authorities say at 12:06 a.m. on April 11th, the 63-year-old woman was inside her home when an unknown male driving a white Toyota Celica parked on the 7900 block of Loretta Avenue and entered her residence.
When the male approached her, police say he began sexually assaulting her.
While struggling with the victim, the suspect brandished a hammer and struck the woman several times in the head.
The victim began screaming and the suspect fled the home in an unknown direction.
Police describe the suspect as an Hispanic male, 20 years-of-age, 5'7, average build, long thick ponytail, wearing faded blue jeans, black hooded sweatshirt, Atlanta Braves baseball cap and was operating a white Toyota Celica.
Authorities have released surveillance video, which can be viewed here.
To submit a tip, call 215-686-TIPS (8477) or text a tip to PPD TIP or 773847.
philadelphia, sex assault, assault, local/state
- Photos: Pictures of Wawa car theft suspects 36 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall 51 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park 34 min ago
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 31 min ago
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Sunoco moving to Delco, Citibank leaving Philly