Student charged after gun found in back pack at Fels High School
SUMMERDALE - April 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office has announced charges against the teen who allegedly brought a gun to school on Wednesday.
18-year-old Shaheed Whack is charged with carrying a gun without a license, carrying a firearm on the streets of Philadelphia without a license, and possession of a weapon in a school.
It was 7:28 a.m. Wednesday when school officials were conducting security checks as students entered the Samuel Fels High School in the city's Summerdale section. That is when they discovered a .38 caliber revolver in Whack's back pack.
The gun and the back pack were held but Whack fled the building. He was apprehended a short time later in the 800 block of Sanger Street.
Whack is being held on $75,000 bail.
summerdale, philadelphia, guns, school, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 55 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases