Mistrial declared at NJ father's murder trial
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jurors could not reach a verdict at the trial of a New Jersey man accused of killing his 20-month-old daughter.
A judge on Tuesday declared a mistrial after 2½ days of deliberations in Newark. A new trial date is set for July 8.
Travis Hartsfield Jr. was caring for the toddler at their home in 2011 when he told police he punched the girl twice in the stomach when she wouldn't eat. He found her cold and not breathing hours later.
An autopsy determined the girl died from a severed liver caused by blunt force trauma.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office tells The Star-Ledger of Newark it will prepare for the next trial.
trial, child death, children, new jersey, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 58 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case 47 min ago
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia