Del. lawmakers take up bill allowing gay marriage
DOVER, Del. (AP) - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware lawmakers are set to begin consideration of a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state
The legislation, which Gov. Jack Markell has pledged to sign if passed by lawmakers, was scheduled for discussion Wednesday in the House Administration Committee.
The measure comes a little more than a year after Delaware first began recognizing same-sex civil unions.
Under the proposal, no new civil unions would be performed after July 1, and couples in civil unions could convert their civil unions to marriages before July 2014 by applying for a marriage license to county clerks of the peace.
On July 1, 2014, all remaining civil unions not subject to proceedings for dissolution, annulment or legal separation would automatically convert to marriages.
homosexuality, marriage, delaware, local/state
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 33 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 40 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 5 min ago
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos 24 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 20 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 6 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
5 min ago
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in...
24 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
33 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos