Memorial fund established for family of Fire Captain Michael Goodwin
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A memorial fund has been established in honor of the Philadelphia fire captain killed in the line of duty this month.
Captain Michael Goodwin died April 6th while battling a fire in Queen Village.
Firefighters Local 22 announced the memorial fund on Wednesday to help take care of his family in the wake of their loss.
"We vowed to Mike's family, as we have to all families who have lost a loved one in the line of duty, that we will always stand by them and take care of them. This is the first formal step in that ongoing process," said Local 22 President Bill Gault.
"Firefighters are family and that bond is unbreakable. We're grateful for the genuine outpouring of sympathy from so many people from every walk of life. We ask them now to remember the Goodwin family, not only in their thoughts and prayers, but through their generosity. There will be many difficult days ahead for the Goodwin family, emotionally and financially," said Gault.
Those who wish to contribute to the fund may do so by sending a check to:
The Captain Michael Goodwin Memorial Fund
Police & Fire Federal Credit Union
901 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
philadelphia, fire, queen village, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
52 min ago