Woman charged in hit-and-run of girl, 11, in Haddonfield
HADDONFIELD, N.J. - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman has been charged in connection with a hit-and-run over the weekend that left an 11-year-old girl hospitalized.
Barbara Messerschmidt, 69, of Barrington, has been charged in connection with the crash, police announced on Wednesday.
According to investigators, Messerschmidt admitted to driving southbound in the 700 block of North Haddon Avenue around 8:30 p.m. Saturday and was unable to stop before hitting the girl.
Messerschmidt allegedly told police she panicked and fled the scene without stopping to help.
Haddonfield police say they were able to track down Messerschmidt's vehicle from evidence left at the scene.
The 11-year-old girl who was struck suffered serious injuries to her head and leg and was last reported to be in stable condition.
new jersey, hit and run, accident, camden county, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep 22 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police seek missing woman and her baby
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera 3 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 1 min ago
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death 57 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- DA: Woman gambled away stepson's inheritance 46 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's