Woman charged in hit-and-run of girl, 11, in Haddonfield
HADDONFIELD, N.J. - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman has been charged in connection with a hit-and-run over the weekend that left an 11-year-old girl hospitalized.
Barbara Messerschmidt, 69, of Barrington, has been charged in connection with the crash, police announced on Wednesday.
According to investigators, Messerschmidt admitted to driving southbound in the 700 block of North Haddon Avenue around 8:30 p.m. Saturday and was unable to stop before hitting the girl.
Messerschmidt allegedly told police she panicked and fled the scene without stopping to help.
Haddonfield police say they were able to track down Messerschmidt's vehicle from evidence left at the scene.
The 11-year-old girl who was struck suffered serious injuries to her head and leg and was last reported to be in stable condition.
new jersey, hit and run, accident, camden county, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases