Woman charged in hit-and-run of girl, 11, in Haddonfield
HADDONFIELD, N.J. - April 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman has been charged in connection with a hit-and-run over the weekend that left an 11-year-old girl hospitalized.
Barbara Messerschmidt, 69, of Barrington, has been charged in connection with the crash, police announced on Wednesday.
According to investigators, Messerschmidt admitted to driving southbound in the 700 block of North Haddon Avenue around 8:30 p.m. Saturday and was unable to stop before hitting the girl.
Messerschmidt allegedly told police she panicked and fled the scene without stopping to help.
Haddonfield police say they were able to track down Messerschmidt's vehicle from evidence left at the scene.
The 11-year-old girl who was struck suffered serious injuries to her head and leg and was last reported to be in stable condition.
new jersey, hit and run, accident, camden county, local/state
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 23 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
36 min ago