West Chester University student who died in fall near Temple identified
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - April 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities at West Chester University have identified the student who was killed in a fall on Wednesday evening near Temple University in North Philadelphia.
19-year-old Ali Fausnaught was a freshman at West Chester.
She went to Philadelphia Wednesday to hang out with her boyfriend, who's a freshman at Temple.
They were at a rooftop party in the 1900 block of North 18th Street, about four blocks west of the campus.
Police say Fausnaught was backing up to have her picture taken when she tripped over the 10-inch ledge around the roof. She fell three floors to her death.
"We saw immediately crying outside the house. There were cops, a very strong cop presence. Right when it happened there were a bunch of Temple cops, bike cops, everywhere once it happened. So it was pretty insane," said Temple senior Matt Rowe.
Investigators don't know yet if Fausnaught had been drinking, but say it's clear some people on the roof were.
"We did find a large quantity of beer cans and beer bottles. We also had several radio calls in the area for individuals drinking and throwing beer cans and beer bottles off of a roof," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.
Ali Fausnaught is from Brownstown, near Lancaster, and graduated from Conestoga Valley High School last year.
She was a psychology major at West Chester.
"It's just so sad. It makes you really realize you need to look out for each other and make sure you know what you're doing and just look out for each other," said West Chester freshman Halie Andalis.
The party Ali Fausnaught went to was one of dozens of off-campus rooftop parties in the neighborhood during Temple's annual Spring Fling.
It is a tradition that may have ended with Wednesday's tragic accident.
"It's definitely a wake-up call. It's terrible that this happened. We're personally taking our ladder down and putting a lock on the roof," said Temple senior Cory Lafleur.
At least eight people were taken in for questioning after the fall, but police say it's unlikely that anyone will be charged. They say it appears to be a tragic, heartbreaking accident.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 9 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 34 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 53 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 57 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
9 min ago