Rutgers suspends lacrosse coach during review
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - April 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Rutgers University has suspended its head men's lacrosse coach as it investigates allegations of verbal abuse.
The university announced the suspension on Friday, saying that Brian Brecht will continue to be paid.
The school did not give details of allegations.
Rutgers, under the direction of President Robert Barchi and Interim Athletic Director Carl Kirschner, has been reviewing videos of practices in all sports since men's basketball coach Mike Rice was fired this month after a video was made public that showed him kicking players, throwing balls at them and yelling anti-gay slurs.
The university also said Friday that it has formed a search committee for a new athletic director to replace Tim Pernetti. He resigned amid the scandal.
The Rutgers lacrosse team competes in the Big East Conference, and is struggling this season. The Scarlet Knights are 2-11 overall, and 0-5 in the league. Brecht's team has lost 10 consecutive games headed into Saturday's home game vs. Duke.
Brecht, in his second season as coach at Rutgers, spent seven years as coach at Siena College, and was a three-time conference coach of the year in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. He was hired by Pernetti on June 16, 2011, after posting 57 victories with the Saints in his final five years there.
Brecht is a New York native who played at Springfield College in Massachusetts.
new jersey, rutgers university, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 13 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student 52 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 58 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 41 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 42 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
31 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
41 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
24 min ago