14 hospitalized in Bolt bus crash on I-295 in Mercer County
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - April 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey State Police say 14 people were taken to the hospital after a Bolt bus crashed on Interstate 295 in Mercer County.
It happened around 3:00 p.m. Saturday in the northbound lanes of the highway in Hamilton Township.
Police say the BoltBus, carrying 50 people from Philadelphia to New York, slid down an embankment.
Crews worked for hours Saturday evening to get the bus out of the wooded area where it slid.
"I was just praying that it wouldn't flip over," said Johnathan McLeod, a passenger.
Wynnefield resident and actress Yvette Ganier was onboard the bus.
"I just kind of hunkered down and the bus just wouldn't stop it just kept going and going and going. Eventually it just stopped, it was very very scary," said Ganier.
It was a violent impact and glass shattered hitting South Philadelphia passenger Jonathan McLeod. He says people were frantically trying to get off the bus.
"I'm just thankful to God, I was able to walk off the bus. You know I'm just thankful to be alive to be honest with you right now," said McLeod.
Fourteen people were rushed to area hospitals while another bus picked up those who were not injured.
Passengers believe a tire blew but Bolt officials released a statement saying:
"At this time, the company is working to investigate the cause of this incident and provide local law enforcement with assistance as they work to complete their investigation."
Ganier, who has done film, television and theater suffered cuts to her eye. She was on her way to NYC to catch a Broadway show with her sister, who was traveling separately.
"I kind of felt maybe if I had taken her, maybe it wouldn't have happened. You know you go through those types of questions with yourself but it was frightening because I didn't know what happened," said Yolanda Bennett, Ganier's sister.
It appears the 14 victims transported to local hospitals have been released and Bolt says passengers will be getting a refund.
Meanwhile police are still not sure what sparked the crash.
new jersey, mercer county, accident, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom