Phila. police, firefighters play football for a cause
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Football in April? It may not be the season, but this was a game with a reason.
"In the last 10 years, we've raised more than 250,000," said Michelle Winkis.
The Philadelphia Blue Flame is a team of police officers and firefighters. They play in the National Public Safety Football League.
Every dime they raise goes to charity. Saturday's game against Central Texas was dedicated to Sgt. Patrick McDonald and the scholarship that's been established in his name.
Sgt. McDonald was a member of the team until he was killed in the line of duty four years ago.
"It means everything to us. This is our biggest game of the year. Pat was a great guy, to lose him really hurt. To come out here and play for him every year, this is great," said Tim Liebold.
Sgt. McDonald's family would give anything to have him back. However, this event, at least, gives them the comfort of knowing that a lot of good is being done in his name.
"We love every second of it," said Mike Gillin.
Sgt. McDonald's mother, Patsy was on hand to get the team revved up.
They have added motivation this year with the death just two weeks ago of Battalion Chief Michael Goodwin.
Chief Goodwin was killed while battling a blaze in Queen Village. His family will also now benefit from the money raised by the league.
"Everything we do goes to the Police and Fire Widow Fund just to keep those families going," said Jesse Scott.
They played their hearts out all for those who've fallen and the loved ones left behind.
philadelphia, police, local/state, david henry
- More Snow on the Way 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 46 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 50 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 58 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
49 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
48 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
50 min ago