Phila. police, firefighters play football for a cause
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Football in April? It may not be the season, but this was a game with a reason.
"In the last 10 years, we've raised more than 250,000," said Michelle Winkis.
The Philadelphia Blue Flame is a team of police officers and firefighters. They play in the National Public Safety Football League.
Every dime they raise goes to charity. Saturday's game against Central Texas was dedicated to Sgt. Patrick McDonald and the scholarship that's been established in his name.
Sgt. McDonald was a member of the team until he was killed in the line of duty four years ago.
"It means everything to us. This is our biggest game of the year. Pat was a great guy, to lose him really hurt. To come out here and play for him every year, this is great," said Tim Liebold.
Sgt. McDonald's family would give anything to have him back. However, this event, at least, gives them the comfort of knowing that a lot of good is being done in his name.
"We love every second of it," said Mike Gillin.
Sgt. McDonald's mother, Patsy was on hand to get the team revved up.
They have added motivation this year with the death just two weeks ago of Battalion Chief Michael Goodwin.
Chief Goodwin was killed while battling a blaze in Queen Village. His family will also now benefit from the money raised by the league.
"Everything we do goes to the Police and Fire Widow Fund just to keep those families going," said Jesse Scott.
They played their hearts out all for those who've fallen and the loved ones left behind.
philadelphia, police, local/state, david henry
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 19 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
40 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
19 min ago