SEPTA worker shocked, burned on top of train in Ewing Twp.
EWING TWP., N.J. - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a SEPTA car inspector was shocked and burned while working on top of a train in Ewing Township, New Jersey early Monday morning.
An eyewitness tells Action News it looked like a fireball on top of the railcar.
The incident happened around 12:30 a.m. at the West Trenton Train Station on Sullivan Way.
The SEPTA railcar inspector, said to be a 49-year-old man from Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, suffered shocks and serious burns while working on top of railcar 127.
Two other workers were in the rail yard at the time, and when officers arrived, they rushed them over to their friend and coworker.
Police say the victim was able to speak but could not move.
Fire companies from several areas responded to the scene. Because of the heavy voltage, SEPTA crews had to quickly de-energize the scene and a high angle rescue team had to carefully work to safely get to the victim.
It took about an hour before crews managed to reach the injured worker.
The victim suffered 3rd degree burns and was airlifted to Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, New Jersey where he is listed in critical condition.
Rescuers say thousands of volts went through his body.
SEPTA says only one train bound for West Trenton was affected, and the ten passengers aboard were bused to another location.
Train 127 has been moved to another yard while the investigation continues.
SEPTA, new jersey, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 23 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 50 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 44 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 42 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
44 min ago