SEPTA worker shocked, burned on top of train in Ewing Twp.
EWING TWP., N.J. - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say a SEPTA car inspector was shocked and burned while working on top of a train in Ewing Township, New Jersey early Monday morning.
An eyewitness tells Action News it looked like a fireball on top of the railcar.
The incident happened around 12:30 a.m. at the West Trenton Train Station on Sullivan Way.
The SEPTA railcar inspector, said to be a 49-year-old man from Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, suffered shocks and serious burns while working on top of railcar 127.
Two other workers were in the rail yard at the time, and when officers arrived, they rushed them over to their friend and coworker.
Police say the victim was able to speak but could not move.
Fire companies from several areas responded to the scene. Because of the heavy voltage, SEPTA crews had to quickly de-energize the scene and a high angle rescue team had to carefully work to safely get to the victim.
It took about an hour before crews managed to reach the injured worker.
The victim suffered 3rd degree burns and was airlifted to Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, New Jersey where he is listed in critical condition.
Rescuers say thousands of volts went through his body.
SEPTA says only one train bound for West Trenton was affected, and the ten passengers aboard were bused to another location.
Train 127 has been moved to another yard while the investigation continues.
SEPTA, new jersey, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 5 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death 41 min ago
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home 54 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep