Defense illness postpones Kermit Gosnell trial
PHILADELPHIA - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- The murder trial of abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell was postponed Monday because a member of the defense team fell ill.
The defense had been due to begin its case on Monday.
The trial is now scheduled to resume Tuesday if defense lawyer Jack McMahon is back to work.
The 72-year-old Gosnell is charged with killing a patient and seven babies.
The prosecution had been presenting its case for the past five weeks.
Former clinic workers have testified that Gosnell taught them to snip the spines of aborted babies to make sure they had died.
The defense denies that any babies were born alive. And lawyer Jack McMahon has suggested the 41-year-old woman died of unforeseen complications.
It's not clear if Gosnell will testify before the jury gets the case.
Eight clinic employees have pleaded guilty, some to third-degree murder.
The only co-defendant, unlicensed doctor Eileen O'Neill, is charged with racketeering and working without a license. Her lawyer says she worked under Gosnell's supervision.
abortion, trial, pennsylvania, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 19 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 30 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 40 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 27 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 26 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 43 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 17 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
43 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
19 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
30 min ago