Penn Wood High School students to finish year in different school
LANSDOWNE, Pa. - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Some students in the William Penn School District will finish the year in a different building after a fire seriously damaged their high school.
The district says students at Penn Wood High School in Lansdowne will attend split sessions at the Cypress Street campus in Yeadon for the rest of the year. Before Thursday's fire, juniors and seniors attended the campus in Lansdowne and freshmen and sophomores went to the campus in Yeadon.
Classes for juniors and seniors will begin at 6:45 a.m. at Cypress Street and end at 10:50 a.m. The teachers from Green Avenue and the entire staff will be moving in too, with equipment including phone and computer lines.
Just 20 minutes after the 11th and 12th graders are dismissed, the 9th and 10 graders who regularly attend Cypress Street will go from 11:10 a.m. to 3:55 p.m.
"It is a challenge, but our students, our community, our teachers are resilient and will rise to the challenge and deliver the educational program that we need to deliver to do the best that we can for our students," William Penn School District Director of Pupil Services Dr. Frank Bruno said.
Authorities say someone set fire to the building early Thursday, damaging the lobby and several classrooms. Investigators say they're looking for several individuals believed to be involved in the arson.
"We are focused on the student community at this moment in time, however, we haven't ruled out that there is an older teenager or somewhere else as an accomplice," Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said.
"I wish they would find who it was. I just want to know who, who has that much hate against Penn Wood?" 11th grader Isaac Dotson said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, school, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 33 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad