Spanish-speaking students scammed in Delaware, police say
BRIDGEVILLE, Del. - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware man has been charged with stealing money from nearly two dozen Spanish-speaking people over a seven-year period.
Delaware State Police say Jose Oyola, 47, of Greenwood, targeted 20 members of the Hispanic community between January 2004 and March 2011.
Police say Oyola charged the victims hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars to complete their tax returns before they entered the English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Sussex Tech Adult Education.
In some cases, police say, Oyola also promised to help the victims obtain work visas, driver's licenses and secure housing through Habitat from Humanity.
Authorities say Oyola took the victims' money and never provided the services promised. In one case, police say Oyola threatened one victim by saying he would approach immigration officials with personal information about the victim if the victim ever returned to the ESL program.
Oyola was arrested Thursday and charged with multiple counts of theft and extortion.
He was released on $22,500 unsecured bond.
Delaware State Police are asking anyone who believes they were victimized by Jose Oyola to contact Master Corporal George Camacho at 302-856-5850 ext. 324 or by using the Delaware State Police Mobile Crime Tip Application available for download at: http://www.delaware.gov/apps/.
Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword "DSP."
delaware, fraud, scam, local/state
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 51 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 27 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 24 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 30 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 6 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
17 min ago
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
53 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos