Mayor Nutter sends letter on Philadelphia hosting 2024 Olympics
PHILADELPHIA - April 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Could Philly host the 2024 Olympic Games?
In the letter, Nutter wrote of the city's interest in the possibility of becoming the U.S. Candidate City, and ultimately, the Host City.
"The Philadelphia region has enthusiastically embraced the prospect of bidding on and hosting a future Olympic Games, and we look forward with great anticipation to the opportunity to work with the USOC on this project," Mayor Nutter said in the letter.
"The City of Philadelphia shares the USOC's dedication to building a spectacular experience for the Olympic athletes, the Olympic family, and the watching world. We have had great success partnering with other organizations to host world-class events and we are committed to working cooperatively and effectively under the direction of the USOC in the months - and hopefully - years ahead."
The USOC wrote to the 25 largest cities in the United States, together with the cities that have previously expressed interest, to gauge interest in bidding to host the 2024 Olympic Games.
The 2016 Olympic Games will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, followed by the 2020 Olympic Games in a yet to be determined location.
philadelphia, olympics, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos