Penn Relays tightens security for games
WEST PHILADELPHIA - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- In response to the bombings at the Boston Marathon, authorities have changed the security policies for this week's Penn Relays.
*Backpacks and large bags (gym bags, duffel bags, etc.) WILL NOT be permitted into Franklin Field or the Relay Carnival Village for spectators.
*Participants (athletes, coaches, team medical personnel) WILL be permitted to bring in backpacks; these bags will be thoroughly checked, and will only be allowed in via the designated participant entrances.
*ALL bags containing food must be smaller than 12" x12" x 6" and in clear plastic bags. Sealed plastic water bottles and cardboard juice boxes are permitted inside the clear plastic bags.
*Coolers, glass bottles and cans WILL NOT be permitted.
*Animals are not permitted except service animals.
*Contraband items such as weapons, flag poles, sticks, and other poles are not permitted.
*Barbeque items and any open flames are not permitted.
*Smoking is not permitted in Franklin Field, per City of Philadelphia code.
*Penn Athletics is working with Penn's Division of Public Safety which is responsible for the security of the event. The Division of Public Safety will have police and security personnel at every entrance (including athlete entrances) to thoroughly check and wand contents of bags and your person as you enter the Penn Relays.
*This procedure will take time, so please allow for ample time to get into the facility each day. This goes for athletes, as well; participants should plan ahead to ensure ample time to clerk for races.
The Penn relays kick off on Thursday.
philadelphia, penn, university city, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 34 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 59 min ago
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 17 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 16 min ago
- Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
57 min ago
- Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain
56 min ago