Family carjacked, robbed outside Radnor computer store, police say
RADNOR, Pa. - April 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware County believe two men were behind a carjacking and robbery of a Philadelphia family of three, including an 8-month-old baby.
On Tuesday afternoon, investigators released an image of one of the two men they say committed the crime around 9:50 p.m. Monday outside the Micro Center, a computer and electronics business in the St. Davids Square Shopping Center.
The shopping center is located on the 500 block of East Lancaster Avenue in Radnor Township.
Police say the man walked up to the family as they came out of the store with their electronics and asked if they needed help.
"Not only did he ask to help, he also began assisting with the packages. The primary victim stated 'No, I'm fine,' and even assumed he may have been with the store," Lt. Chris Flanagan of the Radnor Township Police Department said.
Police say he came back and forced the Philadelphia man, his wife and their 8-month-old boy into their car at gunpoint.
The robber drove across the street where investigators say he unloaded all those new electronics into a white Toyota Avalon, stole the victims' wallets and cell phones, and then took off.
"When somebody is willing to display a handgun, actually remove it from his waistband while he's driving an automobile with an 8-month-old child, we're definitely concerned, It seemed like he knew what he was doing," Lt. Chris Flanagan of the Radnor Township Police Department said.
Micro Center shoppers in the St. David's Square Shopping Center say the incident put them even more on alert.
"My thoughts are I'm just grateful that nobody was hurt because that's all that really matters in something like that," Bob Boyd of Wynnewood said.
Police say they are hoping someone in the public will speak up and give them the tip needed to track down the suspects.
Radnor Township police have announced a $2,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this case.
pennsylvania, carjacking, robbery, delaware county, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 37 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos