Man found shot dead inside burning SW Phila. home
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Firefighters found a man dead of an apparent gunshot wound inside a burning home in Southwest Philadelphia Wednesday morning.
The man has been identified as 75-year-old Grover Edwards.
Around 7:30 a.m. the fire department was called out to the report of a fire on the 5900 block of Springfield Avenue.
Heavy smoke was showing on the second floor of the house when firefighters arrived.
When crew members entered the home they found a male on the second floor dead.
The victim had apparently suffered a gunshot wound to the head.
Edwards is a retired Navy Ship Yard worker, father of four, and grandfather of eight.
His family tells Action News, Edwards was beaten and robbed last summer of $2,000 cash.
His family also confirms that Edwards operated an after hours speakeasy out of his home. One theory is that he was targeted for another robbery.
Homicide detectives and the fire marshal are now investigating.
Late Wednesday afternoon workers were boarding up Edwards' home after the fire.
southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, fire, shooting, 6at4, local/state
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 59 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013 6 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
59 min ago