Man found shot dead inside burning SW Phila. home
SOUTHWEST PHILADELPHIA - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Firefighters found a man dead of an apparent gunshot wound inside a burning home in Southwest Philadelphia Wednesday morning.
The man has been identified as 75-year-old Grover Edwards.
Around 7:30 a.m. the fire department was called out to the report of a fire on the 5900 block of Springfield Avenue.
Heavy smoke was showing on the second floor of the house when firefighters arrived.
When crew members entered the home they found a male on the second floor dead.
The victim had apparently suffered a gunshot wound to the head.
Edwards is a retired Navy Ship Yard worker, father of four, and grandfather of eight.
His family tells Action News, Edwards was beaten and robbed last summer of $2,000 cash.
His family also confirms that Edwards operated an after hours speakeasy out of his home. One theory is that he was targeted for another robbery.
Homicide detectives and the fire marshal are now investigating.
Late Wednesday afternoon workers were boarding up Edwards' home after the fire.
southwest philadelphia, philadelphia, fire, shooting, 6at4, local/state
- More Snow on the Way 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 12 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 26 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 16 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 24 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 27 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 31 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now! 56 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
15 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
14 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
26 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
16 min ago