Child left in car with loaded gun in Kensington
KENSINGTON - April 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the mother of a 6-year-old left the child in a car unattended with a loaded gun in Kensington Wednesday night.
Police happened to be in the 400 block of East Clearfield Street when they spotted the child alone in a car.
"A total disregard for the child's safety to leave a child alone in a car around 8:30 at night, but the fact that there was a loaded gun within inches from the child," said Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.
Small described the gun as a 44 caliber handgun with an 8-inch barrel, which was on the floor of the car while the child sat in the front driver's seat.
The mother was located a short time later and now faces child endangerment charges.
Small says it was a miracle that the child didn't get a hold of the gun to cause harm to himself or someone else.
philadelphia, guns, kensington, local/state
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 36 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 9 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 29 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom