Child left in car with loaded gun in Kensington
KENSINGTON - April 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the mother of a 6-year-old left the child in a car unattended with a loaded gun in Kensington Wednesday night.
Police happened to be in the 400 block of East Clearfield Street when they spotted the child alone in a car.
"A total disregard for the child's safety to leave a child alone in a car around 8:30 at night, but the fact that there was a loaded gun within inches from the child," said Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.
Small described the gun as a 44 caliber handgun with an 8-inch barrel, which was on the floor of the car while the child sat in the front driver's seat.
The mother was located a short time later and now faces child endangerment charges.
Small says it was a miracle that the child didn't get a hold of the gun to cause harm to himself or someone else.
philadelphia, guns, kensington, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 59 min ago
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 13 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ