Child left in car with loaded gun in Kensington
KENSINGTON - April 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the mother of a 6-year-old left the child in a car unattended with a loaded gun in Kensington Wednesday night.
Police happened to be in the 400 block of East Clearfield Street when they spotted the child alone in a car.
"A total disregard for the child's safety to leave a child alone in a car around 8:30 at night, but the fact that there was a loaded gun within inches from the child," said Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.
Small described the gun as a 44 caliber handgun with an 8-inch barrel, which was on the floor of the car while the child sat in the front driver's seat.
The mother was located a short time later and now faces child endangerment charges.
Small says it was a miracle that the child didn't get a hold of the gun to cause harm to himself or someone else.
philadelphia, guns, kensington, local/state
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 3 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more