Police seek man harassing women near Philadelphia University
EAST FALLS - April 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the man who has been harassing women near Philadelphia University.
The five incidents happened in broad daylight right at the edge of campus.
The victims are all women between 18 and 26. Students find it all creepy. Police are concerned because the suspect seems to be pretty brazen and bold and the incidents are getting more frequent.
"I was just generally shocked that someone would do that during the day," said one student.
Philadelphia Police say a man driving a dark green Jeep Liberty pulled over and exposed himself to young women.
"Yeah, one of my friends saw the guy," said freshman Glen Zachary. "She just said there was a guy flashing people around campus."
The first incident happened last Thursday in the 3100 block of School House Lane at 1:00 p.m. The suspect pulled over in his green Jeep Liberty.
Police say he asked the victim a question to get her over to the vehicle. Then he made rude sexual comments and gestures and exposed himself. It happened four more times on Wednesday between noon and 1:00 p.m.
The women escaped unharmed and reported what had happened.
"I know it was one of the sorority girls," said junior Anjelica Chickara. "They were walking to and from class and there was an older man and he was going by and sexually harassing girls."
Students were alerted to the series of indecent exposure incidents by email from university security.
Security is very visible in the area, with Philadelphia Police and campus security staff stationed round the clock. That's what concerns authorities.
This guy is bold. He is described as a white male, 40-50 years old, stocky build, bald, brown graying beard and glasses.
"I hope they catch him soon," said junior Jill Irons. "I don't want to be walking to class and be surprised."
The university tells Action News it is working with Philadelphia Police. Students are being asked to report anything suspicious.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit at 215-685-3251, 215-685-3252, or 215-685-3253.
philadelphia, indecent exposure, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ