Suspect charged in retired boxer Tony Martin's murder
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - April 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officers patrolling on Broad Street spotted and caught the suspect wanted in the murder of a retired Philadelphia pro boxer.
Investigators say 20-year-old Shaquille Henderson was caught on Thursday and charged Friday with the murder of Tony Martin.
"We are extremely grateful. We are extremely thankful. News of his arrest was bittersweet. We are happy that he is behind bars but at the same time it doesn't bring Tony back," said Robyn Peete, victim's neice.
Last month the 52-year-old landlord from Germantown was at his property on West Butler Street in Hunting Park collecting rent.
His family says he was shot and killed by Henderson who was visiting a tenant.
"We still don't know anything related to the details pertaining to what happened in the house. All that we know that is the detectives worked hard to identify a suspect," said Peete.
Martin was a former welterweight who was determined to be the best.
His former trainer Oscar Hilton says he was a true fighter unlike the young murder suspect.
"I'm just happy they got him that's all I can say. I'm happy they got him. I just can't understand why he would shoot him in the back of the head," said Hilton.
Martin's wife of more than 20 years is still too upset to speak on camera.
She says words can't express how much she appreciates the detectives on the case and the two officers who captured her husband's suspected killer.
"I just hope that he gets what he deserves and that's death. No life, death," said Hilton.
philadelphia, homicide, hunting park, shooting, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)