Driver still sought in New Year's Day hit-and-run
WYNNEFIELD HEIGHTS - May 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man walking home from a party on New Year's Day was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver and his family is seeking closure.
Patrick Coyle Jr. says he had a typical relationship with his father.
"We went to all kinds of sporting events I played a lot of sports growing up and he always wanted me to play. He coached a lot of my little league teams," said Coyle.
50-year-old Patrick Coyle Sr. was a maintenance man who lived and worked at the Presidential City Luxury Apartments in Philadelphia's Wynnefield Heights section.
"Really nice guy, really helpful, he would take the shirt off his back to help anybody out," said Coyle.
At about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 1st, Patrick Sr. was coming home from a New Year's Eve party.
He had just gotten off the bus and was trying to cross City Avenue near Presidential Boulevard on foot.
"From what I know he was just crossing the street and he was hit, the car was going pretty fast," said Coyle.
Police say the driver fled the scene.
Patrick's son says he's comforted knowing that a passerby stopped and tried to help his father.
"It's comforting knowing there was a med student there right on the scene trying to revive him," said Coyle.
Patrick Sr. died at the scene.
Witnesses were only able to give police a vague description of the striking vehicle saying it was either a gold or silver 4-door sedan.
The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $6,000 reward, half posted by the family and half posted by AAA Mid-Atlantic.
"Come forward. I hope that their conscious is just eating them alive," said Coyle.
The reward will go to anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
Anonymous tips can be given at 215-546-TIPS (8477).
philadelphia, wynnefield heights, accident, hit and run, local/state, rick williams
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 1 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 43 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 31 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 7 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 44 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos