Daylight bandit robs man of $800 in Northeast Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 75-year-old is out hundreds of dollars after he was targeted by a thief who police say was lying in wait. Walter Perez was the only reporter to talk to the victim.
Donald Pick will turn 76 next week, and had just come home from the bank. As he walked to his front door, a man walked up, robbed him, and knocked him to the ground.
"I was stunned," Pick said, "He actually knew where it was. Reached right in my pocket and grabbed it."
It all happened right around 10:30 a.m. Monday right in front of a few of Mr. Pick's neighbors who witnessed the whole thing.
In the end, the heartless thief made off with about $800 cash.
Donald's son-in-law John Smith says he thinks he knows exactly what happened.
"Somebody had to follow him home from the bank or something," Smith says, "because they went around the block, the neighbors seen him, right in broad daylight with people out there. Didn't bother him."
Mr. Pick says he is grateful to his neighbors who immediately started running after his attacker.
"The other neighbor came over and helped me up," Pick told Action News. "I don't even know their names."
The thief drove off, but witnesses got a pretty good look at the getaway car. They describe it as a silver 4-door sedan with tinted windows and Pennsylvania license plate number JCE-8028.
John Smith says he is glad his father-in-law only suffered bumps and bruises, but he does not want his family to go through this again.
"I can't believe," Smith said. "I got two kids, another one on the way, now I'm realizing that I can't raise a family in this neighborhood."
Anyone with any information is asked to call Northeast Detectives.
philadelphia, 6at4, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 53 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 29 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
53 min ago