Daylight bandit robs man of $800 in Northeast Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 75-year-old is out hundreds of dollars after he was targeted by a thief who police say was lying in wait. Walter Perez was the only reporter to talk to the victim.
Donald Pick will turn 76 next week, and had just come home from the bank. As he walked to his front door, a man walked up, robbed him, and knocked him to the ground.
"I was stunned," Pick said, "He actually knew where it was. Reached right in my pocket and grabbed it."
It all happened right around 10:30 a.m. Monday right in front of a few of Mr. Pick's neighbors who witnessed the whole thing.
In the end, the heartless thief made off with about $800 cash.
Donald's son-in-law John Smith says he thinks he knows exactly what happened.
"Somebody had to follow him home from the bank or something," Smith says, "because they went around the block, the neighbors seen him, right in broad daylight with people out there. Didn't bother him."
Mr. Pick says he is grateful to his neighbors who immediately started running after his attacker.
"The other neighbor came over and helped me up," Pick told Action News. "I don't even know their names."
The thief drove off, but witnesses got a pretty good look at the getaway car. They describe it as a silver 4-door sedan with tinted windows and Pennsylvania license plate number JCE-8028.
John Smith says he is glad his father-in-law only suffered bumps and bruises, but he does not want his family to go through this again.
"I can't believe," Smith said. "I got two kids, another one on the way, now I'm realizing that I can't raise a family in this neighborhood."
Anyone with any information is asked to call Northeast Detectives.
philadelphia, 6at4, local/state
- More Snow on the Way 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Preparing for more snow
- Video: Tracking more snow 40 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school 18 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 19 min ago
- Video: Recapping the Eagles Snow Bowl 26 min ago
- Roy Halladay retires after 16 seasons 22 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- More Snow on the Way
20 min ago