Kermit Gosnell's murder trial goes to jury
PHILADELPHIA - April 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A jury has begun deliberating in the capital murder trial of a Philadelphia abortion doctor charged with killing a patient and four babies.
Prosecutors say 72-year-old Kermit Gosnell routinely performed abortions past the state's 24-week limit and killed babies born alive because he did not know how to do a proper abortion.
He is also charged in the 2009 overdose death of a patient.
The defense argues that Gosnell helped poor, desperate women and teens who had no other access to care.
Gosnell faces 258 counts in all, including the five murder counts. Other charges against him include one count each of infanticide and racketeering, 24 counts of performing third-trimester abortions and 227 counts of failing to counsel patients a day in advance.
Jurors were given the case Tuesday.
abortion, trial, pennsylvania, local/state
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 38 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 36 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 11 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos