Group files million dollar lawsuit against Philadelphia police
CENTER CITY - April 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Three men and one woman have filed a federal lawsuit against the Philadelphia police claiming they were mistreated by an officer in Center City on Easter morning.
Roderick King recorded his encounter with an unidentified Philadelphia Police officer at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 31st.
On Tuesday, King and three of his friends filed a million dollar federal lawsuit against the department after they say their rights were violated in the area of 13th and Rodman streets.
"The more I spoke with Mr. King I realized they hadn't done anything wrong and this guy was just way over the line," the group's attorney Kevin Mincey said.
Mincey says they saw the officer driving in an "unsafe manner" and they "called out" to the officer for making "an illegal turn."
Mincey says the officer pulled over and jumped out prompting his clients to whip out their cell phones.
King stated the officer knocked the phone out of his hand.
King, an Air Force war veteran from Montgomery County who claims he wasn't intoxicated, was handcuffed and driven away. However, King's attorney says he was not taken to a police district, but to a dark alley in North Philadelphia.
"Mr. King was in fear for his safety, felt like he was going to be beaten up by this officer, nobody knew who he was; he's not from here. That's when he started begging with the officer, pleading with him," Mincey said.
Mincey says King's friends were left stunned on the Center City block after he was taken away.
They called 911 to get in touch with the officer's supervisor.
More than a half hour later, they say they were even more in shock when the officer returned King right back to the same spot.
"Probably realized he wasn't going to be able to create a story to explain what had just happened," Mincey said.
The Philadelphia Police Department wouldn't comment about the incident because of the lawsuit.
philadelphia, police, lawsuit, local/state, kenneth moton
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ