Delaware Co. sheriff's deputy shot in the leg during drug raid
DARBY, Pa. - May 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County sheriff's deputy was accidently shot in the leg on Wednesday afternoon during a drug raid of a Darby barbershop, police say.
It was around 2:00 p.m. when the sheriff's department, along with Darby Police and the Drug Enforcement Administration, were serving warrants in Darby Borough.
Authorities were conducting a drug raid at Kreative Cutz barbershop in the 500 block of Main Street.
Witnesses say authorities went in with guns drawn and told everybody to get down on the ground.
Following the drug raid, officials say Deputy Sheriff Vincent D'Agostino, 33, was injured when a police weapon discharged into the floor.
As a result, Deputy D'Agostino was hit in the leg and injured by some type of fragmentation.
He was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.
D'Agostino is a resident of Drexel Hill and has been a Deputy in the Delaware County Sheriff's Office since 2009.
Investigations are underway to determine the specifics of the accidental discharge.
"We are very grateful that Deputy D'Agostino was not seriously injured and will return to duty soon. We also appreciate the assistance of our fellow law enforcement officers from Darby and DEA for their assistance. In addition, our thanks go out to the doctors, nurses and staff at HUP for the treatment rendered to Vince from the time he arrived until his discharge later in the afternoon," Sheriff McGinn said in a statement following D'Agostino's release from the hospital.
The Delaware County District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident.
pennsylvania, delaware county, shooting, police, local/state
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 6 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ