Police surround student's home after alleged threat in Camden County, N.J.
BLACKWOOD, N.J. - May 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- The report of a possible threat from a high school student prompted heavily armed police to surround the student's home in Camden County, N.J. and bring him out for questioning.
The dramatic events unfolded at 1:00 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities say a student at Triton Regional High School in Runnemede told a vice-principal that another student, who was at home on suspension, had a firearm and might be intending to use it.
School officials immediately notified police.
Officers from the Gloucester Township and Runnemede Police Departments soon surrounded the student's home in the 200 block of Cedar Avenue in Blackwood.
Chopper 6 HD was overhead as officers in bullet-proof vests and riot gear ordered first the student, then another person, out of the home and took both into custody.
Police were searching the home for evidence of a weapon. As of 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, none had been found.
A letter to parents posted on the Black Horse Pike Regional School District website said no direct threat was ever made to students or to the Triton Regional High School building:
"There was no immediate threat made to students in school. There is no evidence that suggests there are explosives in the building; this is an unfounded rumor. Runnemede and Gloucester Township Police are involved in questioning all those that made the report and any other individuals involved.
"We are proud of our administrative staff for acting immediately in coordination with law enforcement officials."
The police investigation continues.
new jersey, school, guns, camden county, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 28 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ