Arrest made in Easter Sunday carjacking in Brooklawn
BROOKLAWN, N.J. - May 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Brooklawn Police Chief Francis McKinney reported an arrest Wednesday in the carjacking of a woman on Easter Sunday.
28-year-old Nicholas Silvestro of Gloucester City was charged with Carjacking, Theft, Aggravated Assault, Robbery and Shoplifting Wednesday.
He was ordered held on $250,000 bail.
The 80-year-old carjacking victim, Catherine Hodge of Bellmawr, spoke to Action News after hearing of the arrest.
"I am so happy that they caught him and I take my hat off to the Brooklawn Police Department cause they really worked on this right from the beginning," Hodge said.
Police say Silvestro pulled Hodge from her vehicle on March 31st about 10:40 a.m., in the parking lot of the Metro Diner at Route 130 and Browning Road.
Hodge says she was sitting in her car parked at the Metro Diner.
She had just finished up Easter breakfast with her family and was about to head home when she was forcefully assaulted.
"He threw me out, he grabbed me by the shoulder and just threw me out of the car and my shoe came off and I'm screaming and yelling, 'Somebody please help me, help me. Help me,'" Hodge said.
Hodge suffered a swollen foot, scuffed knee, and a black and blue finger.
For weeks, Hodge says she was hobbling around and feeling sore from being manhandled and thrown to the ground, but she says she has healed up.
"I'm a feisty 80-year-old lady, that's what they call me," Hodge said with a laugh.
Police say further investigation led to Silvestro also being charged with shoplifting from a Rite Aid next door to the diner on the same morning.
Fingerprints obtained from the scene led to officers identifying and arresting Silvestro.
"I don't have to worry anymore. It changed your whole life. Now when you get in a car, the first thing you think about is make sure those doors are locked fast," Hodge said.
new jersey, camden county, carjacking, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 16 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 52 min ago
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash 32 min ago
- Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
15 min ago