Drivers of truck and pinned car in Northeast Extension crash identified
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the drivers involved in a dramatic accident that left a car pinned between a tractor trailer and a concrete median on a busy stretch of the Pennsylvania Turnpike's Northeast Extension (I-476) in Montgomery County.
It happened at 7:15 a.m. Thursday in the southbound lanes of the Northeast Extension at mile post 24.8 in Whitpain Township.
Police say 49-year-old William Kishbaugh of Wapwallopen, Pa. was at the wheel of a tractor trailer and failed to obey posted signs instructing all trucks to use the left lane only.
The right front bumper of the tractor trailer struck a concrete barrier on the right shoulder of the highway, and Kishbaugh lost control of the rig. He veered into the left lane, striking a Honda Civic driven by 22-year-old Kristen Maehrer of Allentown, Pa.
The impact forced Maehrer's vehicle into the center concrete median barrier. The car rolled onto its right side and became wedged between the barrier and the tractor trailer with the driver's side of the car facing up.
Maehrer was flown by medical helicopter to Lehigh Valley Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Kishbaugh was driven to Mercy Suburban Hospital with minor injuries.
Traffic in both directions was shut down for several hours. All lanes were back open by 10:30 a.m.
There was no immediate word what charges, if any, might be filed.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, accident, pennsylvania turnpike, local/state
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 12 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 41 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse 59 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed