Drivers of truck and pinned car in Northeast Extension crash identified
WHITPAIN TWP., Pa. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the drivers involved in a dramatic accident that left a car pinned between a tractor trailer and a concrete median on a busy stretch of the Pennsylvania Turnpike's Northeast Extension (I-476) in Montgomery County.
It happened at 7:15 a.m. Thursday in the southbound lanes of the Northeast Extension at mile post 24.8 in Whitpain Township.
Police say 49-year-old William Kishbaugh of Wapwallopen, Pa. was at the wheel of a tractor trailer and failed to obey posted signs instructing all trucks to use the left lane only.
The right front bumper of the tractor trailer struck a concrete barrier on the right shoulder of the highway, and Kishbaugh lost control of the rig. He veered into the left lane, striking a Honda Civic driven by 22-year-old Kristen Maehrer of Allentown, Pa.
The impact forced Maehrer's vehicle into the center concrete median barrier. The car rolled onto its right side and became wedged between the barrier and the tractor trailer with the driver's side of the car facing up.
Maehrer was flown by medical helicopter to Lehigh Valley Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Kishbaugh was driven to Mercy Suburban Hospital with minor injuries.
Traffic in both directions was shut down for several hours. All lanes were back open by 10:30 a.m.
There was no immediate word what charges, if any, might be filed.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, accident, pennsylvania turnpike, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police