Suspicious backpack in Lakewood, NJ yields bird in coconut
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in New Jersey responding to a report of an unattended backpack near a post office couldn't believe their eyes.
There was a half a coconut with a young, live bird inside.
Lakewood police closed off Clifton Avenue and sent in a bomb-sniffing dog Wednesday.
Lt. Robert Smith told the Asbury Park Press the backpack may have been left by someone unable to care for the bird. There was no identification in the bag.
Sgt. Maureen McGilloway says the bird appears to be a young mourning dove. She says she'll care for the bird at her home until it can be released into the wild.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey, animals, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 45 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 32 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
37 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
32 min ago