Suspicious backpack in Lakewood, NJ yields bird in coconut
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in New Jersey responding to a report of an unattended backpack near a post office couldn't believe their eyes.
There was a half a coconut with a young, live bird inside.
Lakewood police closed off Clifton Avenue and sent in a bomb-sniffing dog Wednesday.
Lt. Robert Smith told the Asbury Park Press the backpack may have been left by someone unable to care for the bird. There was no identification in the bag.
Sgt. Maureen McGilloway says the bird appears to be a young mourning dove. She says she'll care for the bird at her home until it can be released into the wild.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey, animals, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from Colorado high school shooting 58 min ago
- 2-alarm house fire in Blackwood, NJ 54 min ago
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 49 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million