Suspicious backpack in Lakewood, NJ yields bird in coconut
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in New Jersey responding to a report of an unattended backpack near a post office couldn't believe their eyes.
There was a half a coconut with a young, live bird inside.
Lakewood police closed off Clifton Avenue and sent in a bomb-sniffing dog Wednesday.
Lt. Robert Smith told the Asbury Park Press the backpack may have been left by someone unable to care for the bird. There was no identification in the bag.
Sgt. Maureen McGilloway says the bird appears to be a young mourning dove. She says she'll care for the bird at her home until it can be released into the wild.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
new jersey, animals, local/state
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 15 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 54 min ago
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 9 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police