Chemical spill prompts evac of Montgomery Twp. factory
MONTGOMERYVILLE, Pa. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say an unknown chemical spilled at plant in suburban Philadelphia, prompting employees to be evacuated. No injuries are being reported.
It happened at ITW Polymers Coatings in Montgomery Township on Wednesday afternoon. Montgomery Township fire Chief Bill Wiegman says the chemical that spilled was used in the processing of epoxy made by the company.
About 30 workers at the plant were evacuated when alarms went off around 1:45 p.m. and fire officials called in a hazardous materials team. A preschool in the area was also ordered to shelter in place while crews investigated.
Authorities eventually determined the gases given off weren't harmful and the spill was contained to the building.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, hazmat, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 49 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92 22 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos