Pennsylvania State Police honors fallen members
WYNNEFIELD HEIGHTS - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Pennsylvania State Police held a ceremony on Thursday to honor members of the force who lost their lives in the line of duty.
The event for Pennsylvania State Police Memorial Day was held in the Wynnefield Heights section of Philadelphia.
There, they remembered the 94 members who lost their lives over the agency's108 year history.
"These people put it on the line every day and there's no guarantee that they're going to be going back to their loved ones when they come out," said police benefactor Jimmy Binns.
The names of all 94 were read out loud. Among them were two from Troop K, which serves Philadelphia.
Families and retirees joined in the service as well, not just remembering the fallen but recognizing current members, like Brian Maturo. He was named Troop K's Trooper of the Year.
His mother, Janice, looked on with pride.
"This was his dream when he was a child. For him to go out each day and put his life on the line, it means so much to me," she said.
Several other members received Letters of Commendation for their work this year, including Trooper Thomas Fleischer.
"Very proud, very proud," said his parents, Terry and Sue Amsley. "I think he would do it if they stopped paying him."
Ceremonies like this one were held all across Pennsylvania on Thursday.
LIST OF AWARD RECIPIENTS
Here is the complete list of Pennsylvania State Police Memorial Day Award Recipients from Troop K:
philadelphia, pennsylvania, police, local/state, katherine scott
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 2 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 9 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 20 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
2 min ago