Police: Homeowner shoots at burglars in Lower Merion
LOWER MERION, Pa. - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police converged on a residence in Lower Merion, Montgomery County after a homeowner interrupted a burglary and fired shots at several suspects.
Lower Merion police responded shortly after 1:00 p.m. to calls of a home invasion in the 1200 block of Remington Road in Wynnewood.
They immediately set up a perimeter closing down surrounding streets unsure of what was going on inside the home.
"I saw three police officers with their guns drawn come around the corner and I turned around and left," one neighbor who did not want to be identified told Action News.
Police approached the home with guns drawn.
Sources tell Action News that three men broke into this corner house.
The homeowner interrupted the burglary in progress and fired an unknown amount of shots.
Some neighbors said they heard about five gunshots.
Many thought it was the sounds of construction until they saw the massive police presence.
The suspects fled the scene as police converged around the residence.
Neighbors said there have been many break-ins in this area lately; this violent development has them on edge.
"I heard there are a lot of break-ins in the neighborhood. Times are bad and people try to get stuff," Sara Reuven of Wynnewood said.
"It's a little scary when it's across the street from you, you don't expect it to happen across the street," the unidentified neighbor said.
Police have not put out a detailed description of the three men who fled the scene. It's possible they fled in a white car.
The homeowner was not injured and police, at this point, don't believe that any of the suspects were injured either.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, home invasion, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Wintry Weekend 37 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Local men reflects on meeting with Mandela 15 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Freebie Friday
- Runyan's son follows in dad's footsteps
35 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
37 min ago