Gunman fires on Philadelphia police van with officers inside
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A gunman fired on a Philadelphia police van early Saturday morning while officers were inside the vehicle.
It happened around 2:45 a.m. Saturday in the area of 24th and Edgley streets in North Philadelphia.
Authorities tell Action News that two 22nd district police officers were in the van when they came upon a man shooting at the occupant of a gold Chrysler.
When one of the shooters saw police, investigators say he fired on the van.
A bullet hit the windshield of the police van on the passenger side.
The officers returned fire and the pursued him on foot.
The officers lost the suspect in the area of the 2300 block of Diamond Street.
The police officers were not hurt during the shooting.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, police, shooting, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 1 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape