Gunman fires on Philadelphia police van with officers inside
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A gunman fired on a Philadelphia police van early Saturday morning while officers were inside the vehicle.
It happened around 2:45 a.m. Saturday in the area of 24th and Edgley streets in North Philadelphia.
Authorities tell Action News that two 22nd district police officers were in the van when they came upon a man shooting at the occupant of a gold Chrysler.
When one of the shooters saw police, investigators say he fired on the van.
A bullet hit the windshield of the police van on the passenger side.
The officers returned fire and the pursued him on foot.
The officers lost the suspect in the area of the 2300 block of Diamond Street.
The police officers were not hurt during the shooting.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, police, shooting, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 3 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 1 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
9 min ago
- Woman shot while sleeping in South...
3 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos