10 South Jersey softball teams pitch in to fight cancer
GLENDORA, N.J. - May 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- High school athletes from across the region are playing hard and pitching in to help fight cancer.
"We're all so pumped, this is the best we've played I think," said Danielle Martinez.
Ten South Jersey high school softball teams converged on the fields at Triton Regional High School for the 4th annual Coaches vs. Cancer two-day tournament and fundraiser.
The proceeds benefit cancer research.
"We started this four years ago in memory of Timmy Frantz an 18-year-old who passed away of cancer, the son of one of our physical education teachers," said Pam McCabe.
McCabe, organizer and Triton H.S. softball coach, says the tournament also supports Triton basketball coach Butch McClean - he died from cancer last spring.
"It's not about who wins or loses. We're giving it our all and we're out here playing for them," said Martinez.
It's a cause that's also close to Morgan Hacker's heart.
"My mom had breast cancer so it means a lot to me this tournament," said Hacker.
Hacker and her teammates at Gloucester County Institute of Technology came dressed in breast cancer pink from head to toe. They matched the bases, the cancer ribbons on the field and the prizes.
All 10 schools put competition aside this weekend and instead had fun teaming up in spirit to help their community win a much tougher battle.
"The big thing I try to tell them is there's a bigger game than softball out there. Today that's what they should learn," said McCabe.
The two-day tournament is hoping to raise as much as $5,000 with the sale of food, 50-50 raffles and t-shirts. All of the money raised will go to cancer foundations.
new jersey, camden county, cancer, local/state, jennifer joyce
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 22 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos