Police: West Pottsgrove home invasion leads to murder
WEST POTTSGROVE TWP, Pa. - May 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say the body of a 19-year-old, targeted in a home invasion in West Pottsgrove Township, was found dumped along the side of the road in Lower Pottsgrove Township.
Neighbors stood and watched as crime scene investigators spent the evening gathering evidence.
"I was running Broad Street and got back earlier in the day. I got a message that there was a crime scene going on and was shocked. This is a family community," said Daniel Price.
According to the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office it was around 2:00 p.m. when several armed men barged into the home on the 1200 block of Manatawny Street in West Pottsgrove and demanded cash.
Action News has learned that the homeowner, 67-year-old Ruth Borowy, was inside with her four adopted adult children, including 19-year-old Kareem Ali Borowy.
Kareem was then removed from the home at gunpoint.
Minutes later and about five miles away in Lower Pottsgrove Township, police got a call of a body that was dumped along the 2100 block of Sanatoga Station Road.
Investigators confirmed the victim was Kareem. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"It makes me a little nervous but I feel okay because it feels like an isolated thing," said Darlene Fegley.
While neighbors say police respond to this address often, it has been mostly for domestic issues.
"Just family issues, fighting, arguing, small stuff - nothing crazy like this," said Colby Carden.
Investigators questioned and consoled the young murder victim's family, who were understandably too upset to speak.
Kareem's classmate described him as an all around good person.
"He's a good kid. He was always helping people out, he wasn't a gang member or nothing, so it doesn't make sense," said Carden.
Police have not released how Kareem, a 2012 graduate of Pottsgrove High School, was killed, but do believe he was a target.
They are also working to identify the suspects and a motive in the case.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the West Pottsgrove Police Department at 610-323-2090, Lower Pottsgrove Police Department 610-326-1508 or Montgomery County Detective Bureau 610-278-3368.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, home invasion, body found, local/state
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 12 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 51 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 59 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
12 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
56 min ago