Man dies after collapsing in Pittsburgh Marathon
PITTSBURGH - May 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a runner collapsed and died during the half-marathon competition of the Pittsburgh Marathon.
Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Michael Huss told reporters Sunday that the 23-year-old man collapsed near paramedics at the 12-mile mark near Duquesne University.
Officials said the victim was taken to UPMC Marcy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
His name was not released. An autopsy by the Allegheny County coroner's office was scheduled Monday.
Race director Patrice Matamoros said on the marathon's website that "This is a loss for the entire marathon family and our hearts and prayers go out to his family at this time."
pennsylvania, pittsburgh, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police