Man dies after collapsing in Pittsburgh Marathon
PITTSBURGH - May 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a runner collapsed and died during the half-marathon competition of the Pittsburgh Marathon.
Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Michael Huss told reporters Sunday that the 23-year-old man collapsed near paramedics at the 12-mile mark near Duquesne University.
Officials said the victim was taken to UPMC Marcy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
His name was not released. An autopsy by the Allegheny County coroner's office was scheduled Monday.
Race director Patrice Matamoros said on the marathon's website that "This is a loss for the entire marathon family and our hearts and prayers go out to his family at this time."
pennsylvania, pittsburgh, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep 19 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police seek missing woman and her baby
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook 8 min ago
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death 54 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- DA: Woman gambled away stepson's inheritance 43 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Central Pa. man arrested for 2 DUIs in 2 hours
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's