Teen basketball player shot and killed in Darby Borough identified
DARBY, Pa. - May 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the 18-year-old man shot and killed in a hail of bullets fired at a group of basketball players in Delaware County.
Police say Brian Christopher Brunston was one of five 17- to 20-year old men who had just wrapped up a basketball game around 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
They were walking in the 500 block of Cedar Avenue in Darby Borough when police say they were approached by a gunman who demanded money.
The group split up, running in different directions.
The gunman opened fire, hitting Brunston. Police say he was able to run to a nearby house where he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are working to track down the suspect, described as a man wearing a gray hoodie.
They are searching for surveillance video and working on a description of the vehicle the suspect may have been driving.
The neighborhood remained on edge. Police told Action News there is little doubt the basketball players were innocent victims. None has a police record.
Police say the gunman was firing wildly. Investigators recovered numerous shell casings in the area, and several bullets that went through a porch screen and became embedded in the brick wall of a house.
teens, darby, homicide, pennsylvania, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
54 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
41 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
38 min ago