Teen basketball player shot and killed in Darby Borough identified
DARBY, Pa. - May 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the 18-year-old man shot and killed in a hail of bullets fired at a group of basketball players in Delaware County.
Police say Brian Christopher Brunston was one of five 17- to 20-year old men who had just wrapped up a basketball game around 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
They were walking in the 500 block of Cedar Avenue in Darby Borough when police say they were approached by a gunman who demanded money.
The group split up, running in different directions.
The gunman opened fire, hitting Brunston. Police say he was able to run to a nearby house where he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are working to track down the suspect, described as a man wearing a gray hoodie.
They are searching for surveillance video and working on a description of the vehicle the suspect may have been driving.
The neighborhood remained on edge. Police told Action News there is little doubt the basketball players were innocent victims. None has a police record.
Police say the gunman was firing wildly. Investigators recovered numerous shell casings in the area, and several bullets that went through a porch screen and became embedded in the brick wall of a house.
teens, darby, homicide, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in 57 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids