Teen basketball player shot and killed in Darby Borough identified
DARBY, Pa. - May 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have identified the 18-year-old man shot and killed in a hail of bullets fired at a group of basketball players in Delaware County.
Police say Brian Christopher Brunston was one of five 17- to 20-year old men who had just wrapped up a basketball game around 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
They were walking in the 500 block of Cedar Avenue in Darby Borough when police say they were approached by a gunman who demanded money.
The group split up, running in different directions.
The gunman opened fire, hitting Brunston. Police say he was able to run to a nearby house where he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are working to track down the suspect, described as a man wearing a gray hoodie.
They are searching for surveillance video and working on a description of the vehicle the suspect may have been driving.
The neighborhood remained on edge. Police told Action News there is little doubt the basketball players were innocent victims. None has a police record.
Police say the gunman was firing wildly. Investigators recovered numerous shell casings in the area, and several bullets that went through a porch screen and became embedded in the brick wall of a house.
teens, darby, homicide, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries 15 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Man arrested in car bomb plot at Kansas airport 11 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.