Arrest made after bottle bombs thrown at Rep. Dwight Evans' campaign office, rec center
WEST OAK LANE - May 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have arrested a man who allegedly tossed a bottle bomb at State Representative Dwight Evans' campaign office in West Oak Lane.
Only Action News was there as Philadelphia police hauled off a 21-year-old suspect who is accused of setting off two bottle bombs in this West Oak Lane community.
"[My daughter] heard a big bang; she thought it was a gunshot," Tina Doram of West Oak Lane said.
The bottles were filled with a caustic, lime green chemical.
They were thrown around 4:30 p.m. at the window of State Representative Dwight Evans' campaign office on the 7200 block of Limekiln Pike where two staffers were inside.
"I hit the floor. I was under my desk," one staffer said.
"I thought it was a firecracker until I saw the smoke," the other staffer told Action News.
Police quickly learned a second bottle bomb had gone off a block away at the city's Simons Community Recreation Center.
It was placed in a bathroom just feet away from dozens of children who were inside the building.
"Copy cats, copy cats of that Boston stuff that went on," parent Arlene Frasier said.
One reason why there was such a response from police who tracked down the suspect nearby, but at this point, they do not have a motive.
The suspect did say one statement to Action News, "This isn't Gotham, son." He was then placed in the police patrol car.
Meanwhile, Representative Evans arrived from Harrisburg and got an update from Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.
"There's never been any problems in terms of the neighborhood, the community, no incidents to my knowledge in this office or my legislative office on Ogontz Avenue," Evans said.
philadelphia, west oak lane, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 50 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1