Miracle cat finds way back to Toms River family
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - May 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- This is the story of a cat that just wouldn't stay away from the family he loves.
When 86-year-old year Uranie Roberts and her daughter Carol evacuated their home six months ago by boat, they took their 8-year-old house cat Porsche with them to relatives in Point Pleasant.
But Porsche apparently didn't like it there and disappeared.
"I used to say prayers and I always say, 'Blessed St. Francis, please watch over my Porche,'" Uranie said.
Fast forward to last week, Carol and Uranie finally got back in their house resigned to life without Porsche when they heard meowing on the back porch.
"And I pulled the vertical blinds and there is Porsche going back and forth, the way he used to come in and I said 'Oh my God!' He was meowing like crazy," Uranie said.
"It was really funny cause when he came in it was like he wanted to tell his story, but we don't speak cat," Carol said.
Porsche's journey would give one pause. Point Pleasant is 8 miles north of Chadwick Island and to get there the wandering kitty cat had to travel down the Barrier Island through some of the areas hardest hit by Sandy.
"It's just unbelievable how he negotiated the 8 miles through all that devastation," Carol said.
Carol and her mom have no idea what Porche was up to those six months he was out catting around, but they agree he looks better now than before he left.
Porsche is painfully shy and these days stays close to home.
No one can figure out how he made his way back, but his owners have one word for it - miracle.
"It's a miracle," Uranie said.
new jersey, ocean county, local/state, nora muchanic
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 2 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
19 min ago