Drunk driver charged with homicide in Westtown crash, DA says
WESTTOWN TWP., Pa. - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man who was allegedly driving drunk when he was involved in a fatal crash with a motorcyclist in Chester County is now charged with homicide by vehicle.
Robert Landis, 49, of the 900 block of South Concord Street in West Chester, was charged in connection with the crash in Westtown Township on April 26th.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan announced the new charges on Tuesday, saying Landis had a blood alcohol level of 0.28, more than three times the legal limit.
Landis is accused of striking a motorcycle driven by 24-year-old Liam Crowley of Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania, killing him.
According to court records, Landis had pleaded guilty to DUI five times in the past.
"Anybody who drives drunk is in danger of killing another person. Getting behind the wheel of a pickup truck at night on the highway with this much alcohol in your system is like firing a 5,000 pound bullet into a crowd of people," Hogan said in a statement.
Hogan's office said it was around 10:30 p.m. that night when Landis was driving his pickup truck and trying to make a turn when he crossed into the wrong lane. Crowley's motorcycle hit the passenger side of the truck.
Crowley was rushed to the hospital where he later died.
At the scene, police say, Landis claimed he only had "a couple of beers." A number of empty and full beer cans were found in the trunk, police said, and Landis was also driving with a suspended license.
Landis was arraigned on Tuesday morning and is being held on $1,000,000 bail.
As the investigation continues, police ask anyone with information about the crime is asked to call Westtown-East Goshen Detective Jon Stafford at 610-692-5100.
pennsylvania, chester county, accident, DUI, local/state
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 35 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!