Environmental crews investigate spill in Stoney Creek in Delaware County
MORTON, Pa. - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Environmental crews were investigating some kind of spill in the Stoney Creek in Delaware County Tuesday.
Firefighters from the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company were called to 62 South Morton Avenue in Morton at 10:45 a.m. for a report of a chemical in the creek.
Once on the scene, they reported an unusual odor and a sheen on the surface of the water.
The firefighters put containment booms around the chemical and contacted the Swarthmore Fire Department, which found evidence of the material farther upstream.
Further investigation revealed the chemical may have come from a PVC pipe protruding from a building in Springfield.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has been called in to the investigation.
pennsylvania, hazmat, delaware county, local/state
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony 5 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer