Environmental crews investigate spill in Stoney Creek in Delaware County
MORTON, Pa. - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Environmental crews were investigating some kind of spill in the Stoney Creek in Delaware County Tuesday.
Firefighters from the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company were called to 62 South Morton Avenue in Morton at 10:45 a.m. for a report of a chemical in the creek.
Once on the scene, they reported an unusual odor and a sheen on the surface of the water.
The firefighters put containment booms around the chemical and contacted the Swarthmore Fire Department, which found evidence of the material farther upstream.
Further investigation revealed the chemical may have come from a PVC pipe protruding from a building in Springfield.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has been called in to the investigation.
pennsylvania, hazmat, delaware county, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 5 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 21 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 26 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 32 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 50 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 41 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 50 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
21 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
26 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
42 min ago